October 10, 2011

Recycle Buttons into Magnets . . . .

Hi everyone! I’m Taryn from Design, Dining + Diapers and I’m so excited to be visiting Thrifty Decorating today. When it comes to my living space, I am a complete neat freak. I hate clutter and I like everything put away in its place (just don't look behind the closed doors, something might jump out at you. I have to put all our stuff somewhere :P ). Because I like things so orderly, I'm not a big fan of pinning things to the fridge. HOWEVER, there are some things that just need to be on there, like the grocery list and the adorable birth announcements and Save-the-Date cards that accumulate each year.

Recently, the collection of magnets on my fridge has really been getting to me and I've been looking for something with a little more style. Call it fate if you will, but I was at a craft fair a few weeks back and stumbled upon old buttons that were turned into magnets. I was completely inspired and decided to make some myself.

First, I pulled out my button collection (Correction: It's actually BOTH my mom's AND my collection that currently resides at my house. Although, she will tell you that I stole it hehe). There are hundreds of buttons in there and they date back to probably the 1930's. I love looking at all of the colors and character that each one holds.

buttons, vintage buttons

Because our kitchen blends into our family room, I choose colors that will go with my new family room design.

buttons

Next, I picked up this pack of magnets at my local craft store for a mere $1.99.



Then, I hot glued the magnet directly onto the back of the button.





To add a little variety, I stacked some of the buttons in unique designs. I love how they turned out and they definitely add a new look to the fridge :)

button magnents

button magnets

button magnets, crafts with buttons, vintage buttons

My total cost for the project: $1.99

So here's my tip. Never throw away those extra buttons that come on your clothes, you never know what you might need them for in the future :)

-------------------------------

Thanks, Taryn, for visiting today!  Taryn also made this beautiful book page wreath!


You can head over to Design, Dining + Diapers to check out Taryn's other great ideas!

We're hanging in the Pocono Mountains today, so I'll share what we're up to later!


5 comments:

Hannah said...

I love this idea! I have tons of extra buttons from clothes that I would love to be able to use. I think I'll be making a trip to Hobby Lobby soon.

Unknown said...

We've included you on our latest post. We've nominated you for the "Versatile Blogger" award. Please come over and check it out. Thanks for all of the daily inspiration :)

Corie @ Design DNA

Lori said...

I love collecting buttons, what a great idea!

Jon Simons said...

What a great idea. Never would have thought of that. Another one added to the list to help keep the kids entertained.

Revi said...

Love the button magnet idea! Simple yet clever - thanks for sharing!
-Revi

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...