March 21, 2011

If you missed my paint stick craft.....

{An "old" crate}

I blogged about this last week at Stuff and Nonsense and wanted to repost it in case you missed it!

I first saw this idea HERE at Today's Fabulous Finds and thought....I can do that!

 


Do you see the "old" crate??  Would you believe it's really this......



It's made from 5 gallon paint sticks and wood scraps!!!!  Gloriously FREE!!!


So how do you do it???  You will need a scrap piece of wood whatever width you prefer, four 5-gallon paint sticks, and some Gorilla Glue




I used Gorilla Glue because I didn't have big enough staples to staple it.....so in some pictures you can see a little glue that oozed out between the joints......just please ignore that!


From a 4 inch piece of wood, I cut the length and the sides.....I glued the sides to the base.


Allow all of that to dry before you add your paint sticks.  Trim your paint sticks to fit.....honestly, I measured nothing....eye-balling it all....I figure that it adds to the "rustic-ness" of it.....


Now for the fun part.......aging it!  Sorry....somehow I forgot to take a picture of the first step....grr!!  The first step was to grab an old rag and rub stain over the wood.  I just used a brown colored stain.  I put it on pretty heavy......I was actually panicking because it looked terrible at this point......that's probably why I didn't take any pictures!


Because it was looking so horrid......I developed "plan B".  I decided to dry brush some white paint on it.  I took my paint brush and painted the paper before I painted my crate so that it was streaky on the wood.



You can see that I put on enough white to cover the darker stain, but not so much that it completely covered the stain.


Then....I grabbed heavy grit sandpaper and started going over all the places that I painted.


Ignore the oozing glue......I should have used less....I know.....


You can see how the sanding just blends it all together......and the finished product....



I LOVE it!!

Today's Fabulous Finds  has other paint stick projects like this one.....


That window.......made from 5 gallon paint sticks!!






Linking up with:






Making
Keeping It Simple
DIY Club

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I love that you made one and that it looks so shabby and worn. So cute! winks-jen

the cape on the corner said...

that's really a great idea-you'd never know it was paint sticks!

Lauren - My Wonderfully Made said...

What a great idea and I love that there are no nails involved -- how simple is that and yet you made it look like a 'big deal'! Love the 'cake stand' also in the picture. I have an old bird's nest I've been wondering what to do with and this would be perfect - thanks!

Sue@creativetryals.blogspot.com said...

okay - that is AwEsOmE!!!
Thanks for sharing and thank you for the visit to my blog/visit/ and invite. I will see you on Thursday for your linky party!

Laurel@ChippingwithCharm said...

Too cute...love the look! Visitng from S&N...have a great weekend :) Laurel@chippingwithcharm

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...