March 23, 2011

Making a plant....cheap

{Spring Mantle Idea} 


So I have a problem with house plants.......I kill them.....never on purpose, but pretty much without fail.  Even my husband has better luck with his plants.....(but then it's really his Administrative Assistant that keeps his alive!)
 So when I saw Liza Mae's mantle idea, I wanted to copy it, but she had living ivy on her mantle and she confessed that it was one of the most expensive parts of her mantle.


Did I really want to spend a lot of money on a plant only to have it die in a two weeks???


So, I went to my favorite store....The Dollar Tree!



Moss Sheet: $1.00
Fake Ivy:  2 @ $1.00
Ceramic Vase:  $1.00
Floral Foam:  $1.00



So easy.....cut foam to fit into your container.  Cut the moss sheet to a shape that matches the top of your container.



I just cut apart my ivy vine into pieces......I started by putting larger pieces on the outside edges and then I put smaller pieces coming from the middle.




At the last minute, I remember that I had bought an old tin container for about $1.50 at a craft store and put the floral foam in there......

And those burlap covered books.....


...nothing but old books....


.....hot glued with burlap!  Total cost:  FREE!!!

The bottles were thrifted at a cost of about $1.00 each!



It doesn't have to be expensive to be beautiful!


Linking up with:

Keeping It Simple







craft

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The tin container really made your ivy pot and I love the look with the burlap covered books!

Angie @ Thrifty Like Me said...

Beautiful mantel!

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

I love the burlap on the books! Great job!

Lauren - My Wonderfully Made said...

You did such a great job mixing shapes, colors, textures on this mantle! REALLY says "Spring" -- so light and airy . . . don't you just love the Dollar Store?!

Sue@creativetryals.blogspot.com said...

Everything looks great! I like the ivy you have on your mantel (less maintenance). Thanks for the linky party!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...