June 4, 2012

Turn an Old Window into a Pot Rack


One of my posts that is frequently bringing traffic is how I like to decorate with old windows, so I decided to share my "how-to" make a pot rack with some updated pictures.
Sheesh!  Those old pictures are horrid!!


We had an IKEA pot rack sitting in a box for the longest time. When we first moved into our house over 6 years ago, I had purchased one, but was afraid to put it up and put holes in our new walls and ceiling.

I almost gave the set to Goodwill.....I think at one point I even tried painting it??  It was a miserable FAIL!  This was before I knew of the wonder of spraypaint!

Thankfully, we kept it because I was able to reclaim some of its parts!



The metal bars of the pot rack are from the IKEA kit....honestly, we never use the actual rails because my hubby is TOO tall.  At 6'5" he hits his head on the pots and that makes for an unhappy hubby!



Instead, I just use "S" hooks from the hardware store and hang the pots off
the cross pieces of my window....no injured heads that way!


To hang to the window from the ceiling, we also just used pieces from the hardware store.


We screwed eye hooks into the window and ceiling and then bought inexpensive chain and clasp at our local True Value store.  The hardware probably cost under $5.00!




It was a quick and easy project and because the window was free along
the side of the road, the total cost was under $10.00!

What have you made with old windows?


13 comments:

Heckety said...

This is soooo nifty! I hear the re-cycling place calling to me (yet again!!!!!)
Thank you for the inspiration!

Morgan said...

This is such a great idea. I love this!

Morgan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MomHomeGuide said...

Such a thrifty idea! Pot racks can be pretty expensive. Your new pot rack looks so cute!

Elizabeth Fairchild said...

What a great idea! Thank you for sharing.

Bliss said...

This has given me a great idea for a problem area. No sense me trying to explain because it won't make sense, but I'm pinning this to remind me.

~Bliss~

Good Time Charlie said...

This project turned out so cute!! I love the old window with the parts from the Ikea rack. My husband is 6'5' too! Yes, things cannot hang too low around here either.

I have a giant chalkboard made with an old window that had three panes hanging in my dining room. It is the back drop often for my furniture photos. I love it, old windows are one of my favorite things to "Redoux".

Katie said...

I love this idea! It's gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Just as a side thought, people might want to test old window frames for lead paint before use: http://www.epa.gov/iaq/homes/hip-lead.html

I noticed Consumer Reports had some recommended kits:
http://news.consumerreports.org/safety/2007/10/testing-the-lea.html

You just don't want to end up with lead dust in your cooking!

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

How on earth did I miss this!!?? This is just the answer to my TINY, awful kitchen! I'm always complaining about finding pots, etc. in my limited cupboard space -- SO excited about this and congrats on your feature!

Remodelaholic said...

I would love to have you come guest post at Remdoelaholic with this post! It is such an amazing idea! If you are interested would you let me know and I can get you details. Thanks! Cassity@remodelaholic.com

Blogger said...

There's a chance you're eligible to get a $250 Ikea Gift Card.

James Franklin said...

Carts are used to transport food items here to there. There are so many types of carts used in the food production & food processing business. If you need custom carts for your business then you can contact us. We can produce custom carts according to your needs.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...