January 11, 2011

Old windows as wall decor

Here are some ideas for ways to put old windows on your walls....


This wall is still a work in progress.....I ordered this vinyl from Jill at Utah Vinyl.  I browsed that "other vinyl" online magazine....not mentioning names but it has U and L in its initials....I got an idea and sent it to Jill and the total cost for this was only $5.00!!  Isn't it so pretty!


My goal is to find scrapbook paper or material to put behind the panes and matte black and white family pictures in them......I have some pictures, but I've been boycotting Joanne fabric...(it's my own personal campaign since I had to stand in line so long the last time I was there!)

And that GORGEOUS painting of the farm was hand-painted by husband!



My husband pulled this frame out of the garbage somewhere...I'm not sure what it even is, but if you look on the left-side, there's a really cool old handle.  I just put an old tin star in the middle of it....


Of all my windows, this is the one of most significance...it's a family "heirloom".....actually I stole it (shhh!) from the barn of my Great Uncle Ted....the only problem is that at the time of its "removal", the house belonged to another owner...not a member of our family!

...Do you like the red paper chain??  My daughter is so ready for Valentine's day!... and I am still loving my Epsom salt jars and my silver stick on my winter mantle!




......a little beady stuff and an old Christmas ornament make this window look great against the red of the wall in my half bathroom....



This window has actually had many different "homes" in my home....at one point it hung horizontally and it had hooks across the bottom.....I loved it as it hung in our entryway and was used as a coat-rack.  My children coat's just grew too large and heavy for the poor thing and I was afraid that it was going to break, so it took another spot in the hallway....

I hope that these ideas have inspired you to try putting windows on your walls!

9 comments:

Jessica S. said...

About 4-5 years ago my friend made me a "picture frame" from a six pane old window. She printed photos of my little boy and used spray adhesive to glue them onto the backs of the window so they would show through. It was kinda like a scrapbook on the wall because each picture was at a different point within his first year! When my little girl was a baby, she found an old quilted pillow sham that matched her room and tacked it onto the back of a different window. Both of these gifts, I adored! At her house, she decorates a lot with horse equipment, saddles, blankets, etc. She hung different horseshoe formations on a wall and hung one of the windows on top so that you could see the shoes through it. So much you can do with these windows, and I love your ideas as well. I'm going to see if my friend has a long window that I can make a little cabinet out of now:)

Anonymous said...

love all the different ideas! My only caution is to be very very careful about lead paint on old windows. There are very specific ways to paint and re-paint old windows. Lead causes brain damage that is irreversible. Sorry to be negative nancy--just have seen too many kids with high blood levels of lead from old flaking windows.... but the decorations are super cute! :)

Carli-Made by Carli said...

Ooooh Nicole, i just found two beautiful old windows on the side of the road, i've been working on a post for them . . . but I haven't decided what i would do with them yet. How did you hang yours?

Anonymous said...

We took and old six pain window, removed the glass and put mirrors in them. Hung on wall in entry way. Below it took old door trim and put several old door knobs on it to hang your coats on. Have had several compliments on it. Thanks, Christine

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

LOL -- hope the owners of the house you took the window from aren't bloggers! I have two big old windows waiting to be hung . . . can't decide what to do (if anything) to them so maybe I should just hang them as is and then decide if I want to alter them. Thanks for these great ideas!

Buffalo Home Security said...

I recently moved to New York and got to start over with decorating. I've migrated towards lots of DIY projects and love this idea! I can't wait to find an old frame and try it out. Thanks!

Unknown said...

I visit you blog first time and want to red your more blogs.please share and keep writing.
شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالدمام
شركة كشف تسربات بالدمام
شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالخبر
شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالجبيل
شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالاحساء
شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالقطيف
شركة كشف تسربات بالرياض
شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالرياض
كشف تسربات المياه

Hazel Andreson said...

It is a very interesting and amazing message, which allows you to get full knowledge at all times with new knowledge through the best and most complete website
Norton setup provides you the highly secure antivirus software that protects your PC and Laptops from threats, viruses, and Malware. install the software on your Devices by visiting: www.norton.com/setup

John Walker said...

If you have QBDT and you wish to migrate to QBO then you will need to take assistance from Quickbooks Customer Support to transfer your files and data properly. you can contact them 24/7.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...