December 4, 2010

Advent Wreath Tutorial

Okay...so I have a confession to make.  My friend, Melissa, inspired me!  She actually sent me this picture in the morning before my husband brought home some taper candles to "make" his advent wreath.  THANK YOU Melissa for perfect timing!!


Sorry...it's super blurry....but you get the idea!  So, when my hubby walked in the door and I RAN to The Dollar Tree....I knew what I was going to get... (kind've)

I had a variety of glassware in my cart and exchanged them a number of times and finally decided on this:



My 5 year old was "shopping" with me ...enough said!

I had 1 roll of this ribbon left over....I had bought it for garland for our Christmas tree....which, after 5 nail holes, is now anchored to the wall....please don't ask!




So after a little of this....(sorry, we got a new camera, so there will be an abundance of photos!)


You get this:




I "shopped my house" and used my picture frame tray and ended up with this:


We "borrowed" some greens from the empty lot next door and I had bought another $1.00 spring of sparkly
beady things from The Dollar Tree.

Total Cost for my Advent Wreath.....drumroll please:

5 glass jars @$1.00 = $5.00
1 roll of ribbon @$1.00= $1.00
1 sprig of beady's @$1.00 = $1.00
1 bag of votive candles @$1.00 = $1.00
picture frame tray---free, already had it
greens----free..."borrowed"
Total cost $8.00!!!

Hearing my children fight over who gets to light the candles.....priceless!


All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said through the prophet: “The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel” (which means “God with us”).   Matthew 1: 22-23

A little background on Advent  (excerpted from here.)

The first is called the "Candle of Hope." It symbolizes faith in God keeping his promises to humanity. The second is called the "Candle of Preparation," reminding Christians to "get ready" to receive God. The third candle is the "Candle of Joy." It recalls the angels joyfully singing about the birth of Christ. The fourth candle, the "Candle of Love," reminds Christians that God loves them enough to send his only Son to Earth. The "Christ Candle," the white candle in the center, stands for Jesus Christ himself.

1 comment:

Sparklinbecks said...

Thats so pretty! Excellent job!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...