March 25, 2012

Fun Family Dinner.....create a salad bar!



I try to make Friday nights special in our house.....but in reality, by the
time I hit Friday, I am exhausted and ready for a break!

Usually I am more prepared and will throw together this recipe for homemade 
dough and we have homemade pizza, but the other night it 
was 5:25 pm and all I had in the refrigerator were 3 chicken breasts....not
a real exciting start to a "fun" family dinner!

As I rummaged through the fridge taking inventory, I had a brainstorm....
what if I made a salad bar??

For my kids, everything tastes better if it's in a pretty bowl and lined up on the counter!




So I started grabbing some fixings and putting them in pretty bowls!



I tried to think of what would be on a real salad bar and tried to imitate...

salad fixings...

mandarin orange...

vanilla pudding...

mac and cheese.....


seasoned chicken.....




My kids thought that I was amazing!  

Here are some of my other go-to fun family recipes:




and I make homemade pizza crusts with the
dough recipe from the sausage turnovers.


Do you have any fun family dinner ideas??


3 comments:

Jessica @ Stay at Home-ista said...

My kids favorite is taco dinner night, for the same reason, lots of bowls, lots of choices!

Jessica
http://www.serenitynowblog.com/2012/03/more-highlighted-links-share-your-best_25.html#more

RHome410 said...

We do this, too. Also similar idea with tacos, baked potato bar, and now I'm thinking about having "Pita night," after we did a Greek inspired bar on Sunday night with flat bread.

We do pizza night every Friday, and it got easier when I started using the Olive Oil Dough recipe out of Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day cookbook. It gets stirred up and sits in the fridge all week, developing flavor and gluten, and is all ready to go for making pizza when Friday dinner time hits. Sure, I have to stir up another batch (easy to mix by hand in a few minutes) as the pizzas bake, but it's been much easier for me this way.

Unknown said...

Great idea on the salad bar.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...