November 2, 2011

Sausage Turnovers. . . .



My family went crazy for this meal!  It is one of my friend Cheryl's recipes.....she is an amazing cook and baker!  My son had these at her house one night for dinner and came home begging me to get the recipe.


You start with a homemade crust.....let me just preface with I am NOT good at making homemade bread, but this recipe is very hard to ruin....in fact, I lost track of how many cups of flour I had added and I still didn't mess it up!




Pizza Crust  (Yields 3 crusts or 16 calzones)

Dissolve:


2 T. yeast in 2 1/2 c. warm water


Add:

3 T. sugar


2 T. oil


2 t. salt

7-8 c. flour

Knead.
I used my mixer....you have a hook attachment that comes with your electric mixer.  This is what you use to knead.  At first I thought that I was going to blow up my mixer.....I told you, I'm not good at making bread!

Cover and let rise for about 20 minutes.
(Mine sat for longer while I folded laundry, vacuumed and dusted.  This doesn't have to be exact!)

Punch down and divide into 16 pieces.

Roll each piece into a 6 inch circle.



Top the one side with sausage, mozzarella and Parmesan.  I just used Bob Evans regular sausage.



Fold-over the top side....I folded it slightly short of the bottom...



Fold the bottom layer over the top layer and press and seal with a fork....brush with butter and bake for 10 minutes at 425 degrees.


We served ours with tomato sauce.




Don't count on any leftovers!

1 comment:

Becca @ Crumbs and Chaos said...

YUM! Easy and delicious...I bet my kids would gobble these right up!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...