May 8, 2012

Decorating with drop cloth....


I originally shared this idea at Craftomanic......I've been going a little crazy with the drop cloth!






I just love how inexpensive the fabric is and how much you can do with it!!
So I had a bit left over and decided to make a spring-y table runner.


To make the table runner you will need a length of drop cloth and some coordinating fabric.  
I bought 1/4 yard of each color, but used less.  (Ignore the tan fabric....I'm 
not sure how that jumped into the picture!)



You do not necessarily need a sewing machine for the next step.  I've
been know to use hot glue to finish edges!


To finish the edges....

Fold the side seam over 1/4 inch and iron a crease. (#1)  Fold it over again (#2) and iron another crease. (#3)  At this point, you can sew that seam or hot glue it! (#4)


I then decided how wide I wanted my ruffles and cut a strip of coordinating fabric.
I am definitely not the sewing contributor because I don't measure anything!!
I eye-balled a straight line and threw in some pins to mark where to put the ruffles.



It is super easy to make these ruffles.....I just fold the fabric back and forth
and sew over it...no measuring, all eye-balling!



When I got to the end of the ruffle, I folded the piece of fabric under and
sewed right over the end the make it look like a "finished" edge.



The possibilities for this type of table runner are endless!  You can do strips of red, white 
and blue for summer or red and green for Christmas.  I've also used fabric sewn on burlap!



The total cost was easily under $5.   


I just love that it's an inexpensive way to get a very custom look for your home!


If you like the candlesticks, you can find the tutorial HERE.  They were made 
from pieces from the Goodwill!  (and please excuse my wrinkles....I took the table runner
off the table during our dinner get-together and it got wrinkled....)


I love finding inexpensive ways to make my home a beautiful place!



8 comments:

ritajoy@harbour breeze home said...

Oh, what a cute idea! I love it...

cherished bliss said...

I'm kinda in love with drop cloths too! I love the chair you did with it! I'm getting ready to do some drop cloth curtains : ) We'll see!

Something Nice and Pretty said...

Really pretty and I love the candle holders too!

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

Love it! Drop cloth is one of my favorites too. :) I love the pops of yellow.

Good Time Charlie said...

These are all such great uses of Paint Drop Cloth! Love the colors. I love using Drop Cloths and I love seeing more ideas for them.

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

I think I'm really 'missing the boat' here as I've not tried using dropcloth for anything yet! Your table runner is absolutely adorable with the addition of the colored ruffles!

Anonymous said...

That is so cute! I love the price of dropcloths too! Great job!

Our Pinteresting Family said...

That runner is fabulous! I love all your ideas. Megan

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...