June 20, 2011

An old book flag....





I have really been enjoying making friends in the blog world and one of my first friends was Lauren from My Wonderfully Made.  We instantly connected....both being wives of pastors! 


A few weeks ago, Lauren linked a really fun Fourth of July craft to Thrifty Thursday!  She made a flag from an old book!  So....I copied her and made my own!




I started with a book that, quite honestly.....I never read even though it was required reading for my Astronomy class.....oh well Mr. Schaeffer....




I primed it with some horrid spraypaint that I got on sale....sorry Krylon, but I don't know what happened when you made this version....maybe that's why I got it on sale for 99 cents?




Then I taped off my flag and started painting....






I asked my artist hubby to help paint the stars.....they were too tedious for me!  (and I know him well enough that crooked stars hanging on the wall would drive him batty!)






I also wrote the words of The Star Spangled Banner in sharpie marker and went over it with some distressing ink....and do NOT judge me for my crooked handwriting!!  I would have straight A's in school and then a C- in cursive....I just can't write straight and even!


Be careful when you add the distressing ink though....I did smudge mine a bit...






I cut a piece of twine to hang the book and added pieces of ribbon for a little "frou-frou".....how do you spell that??




Overall, I love it and I love even more the fact that it was FREE!!!  


So far, I've spent nothing to decorate for the Fourth!





10 comments:

John Wilkinson said...

I recognize that hand in the picture!

Jen@Mom's Online Garage Sale said...

Yet again another great idea!

Stumbled.

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

YEAH!!!! You did it! I LOVE yours and oh my goodness -- who on earth could paint stars that perfect?? Okay, your hubby :) I think your writing is beautiful! Isn't it amazing how we had to learn that cursive? I had to really stop and think how to form some of the letters! Love your little frou-frou! You get an A+++ my dear!!

Johnnie said...

Great project, Nikki!

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

What a creative and wonderful use for an old book! I love it!

angie said...

very cute ~ i have a total of ZERO 4th of july decorations so far. total slacker!!!

isn't cursive ridiculous? i could go on and on. :)

said...

Fabulous!! Love it!

Unknown said...

I LOVE this! I do admit my cursive isn't quite up to snuff either. I do think you did a great job! Thanks for sharing! I'm featuring this on my blog tomorrow. Stop by and grab a button!
-Maggie
http://chicaesartistica.blogspot.com/

LrSchwtz said...

This is beautiful! What a great idea, thanks for sharing. I'd love to have you post this on my Share the Wealth Wednesday Link Party at www.laughloveandcraft.com. I'm your newest follower!

Amy@happylittleparty.blogspot.com said...

Love it!! I am such a slacker this year with decorations for the 4th! It always sneaks up on me. This may be one I can actually put together. Thanks for the idea
xoxo
amy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...