June 7, 2011

Rustic Flag Sign


I have never....ever...decorated for patriotic holidays.  I'm not sure why, but it's never been on my radar to do.  For some reason, this year I am excited to decorate with red, white, and blue.....the only problem is that I don't have much of a budget right now for home decor!

So my goal has been to do it for FREE!!

I've had this ugly sign forever....it's from my "country-fied" days....that lasted all of about 1 year!  The poor sign just keeps getting put behind shelves, under couches....just to keep it out-of-sight!!



But, today, I was inspired!!  What if I flipped it over and started another sign???


I've been seeing really fun flag and patriotic sign-age all over the blog-world, so I wanted to turn this into a rustic flag sign.  The only problem was that it was too long....so I had hubby cut it for me.  (I'll show you tomorrow what I did with the smaller end piece...I absolutely LOVE it!)




I took my little bottle of white acrylic craft paint and dry-brushed it on. To achieve that look just put paint on a dry brush and paint off most of it on the newspaper.  Then take what little remains on your paint brush and paint the wood.

You don't have to use "old" wood.  You can actually "age" the wood.  I did a similar technique on my Paintstick Crate if you'd like to see how to "age" new wood!




Next, I just used painter's tape to mark off my flag shape. 






I left the distressed white as my flag stripes.  I also went over the entire flag with some tea-stained distressing ink just to age it some more.


I took twine that I already had and wrapped it around the ends to give it a little "somethin' somethin'!"




The best part....it was FREE!  Absolutely free!  I recycled something ugly that I already had and never used to make something pretty and fun!!


What have you been recycling??




Places I Party....

18 comments:

Kelly said...

Oh my goodness, perfection! I've never decorated for patriotic holidays either...hmm....you've inspired me!


Kelly

Rachel said...

love it! :)

Laurel@ChippingwithCharm said...

Good thinking...looks great :) Laurel

Jen@Mom's Online Garage Sale said...

Love it! My campsite is all Red, White and Blue. This would be so cute nailed to a stake to stick in the ground with my campsite # on it. Gonna go find a piece of wood, lol.

Unknown said...

I love that! so cute for a mantel... better go search the garage for some wood scraps...:)

Kathy@DandelionsandDustBunnies said...

Super cute!! Love the twine too :-) Great way to use stuff you have. Who doesn't love FREE!

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

That is fantabulous!! Love it and the twine just makes it even better. :)

Johnnie said...

Sooo cute!

Jenny @ An Apple for the Crafter said...

Great job. And I LOVE that I am not the only person addicted to Pick Your Plum! ;)

Tatum said...

Wow! I LOVE this. Trying to decide if it is my favorite project of yours...it is quite possible. This is so darling! The simplest projects are the best.

iram said...

very nice liked you on stumble upon

Anonymous said...

Looks awesome!

Jo @ SmileMonsters

Jennifer said...

I love this!! I featured you today in my Friday I'm In Love favorites. Stop by and check it out!

http://socialsalutations.blogspot.com/2011/06/friday-im-in-love.html

- Jenn @ Social Salutations

LrSchwtz said...

This is such a cute idea! Please stop by www.laughloveandcraft.com and link up to my Share the Wealth Wednesday Link Party!

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

I ADORE your flag! So simple & sweet, yet with such an impact. I'm putting it in the PoPP Spotlight. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Amanda said...

Love your flag sign, turned out great! :) I've featured this post on Craft Gossip here:
http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/americana-rustic-flag-sign/

If you would like a "featured by" button, you can grab one here:
http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/grab-a-craft-gossip-button/

Sherri said...

Love.it! Looks amazing and love that you recycled. :-)

Amy {The Idea Room} said...

I love how rustic it feels! Great job! Hope you don't mind if I share it with my FB fans :)!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...