November 21, 2011

Paint disaster. . . .

I have heard of painting disasters.....I've just never experience one until now....when I decide 10 DAYS before hosting my family for Thanksgiving to completely change a room!!

It all started with a can of free paint.....I took it to my True Value to have it tinted, but it was the wrong base for the color I had chosen....what can 2 extra drops of black do to a color anyway??

A LOT!!

It wasn't as much the color issue, but the coverage issue....I felt like I was painting with WATER!  


I have never experienced this......the above picture was after at least TWO coats!!  After 4 on the one wall, I decided to go back to my True Value and purchase the paint with the primer.


Mistake #2.....I panicked.  I had picked a very soft yellow, but because I was having so much difficulty with coverage, I picked a darker soft yellow....


I don't know if you can tell from this picture, but the new color SCREAMED "I'M YELLOW!!"





I had now invested 7 coats and a $30 can of paint that I didn't want to purchase......I was hyperventilating....and acting a little crabby...


I went to my neighbor's house to get away from the yellow and walked into her dining room and said....this is more the color that I was going for.  She replied by saying that they still had their 5 gallon can of the paint leftover in their basement.


I texted her before she went out-of-town the next morning and grabbed her 5 gallon can of paint...


Problem #649???  The paint had been sitting in her basement for about 3 years and had a serious case of the CLUMPS!!!



UGH!!!  What should have been quick and easy....and more than enough paint to cover became a game of rolling and picking out the latex clumps and praying that God would multiply that paint like He did the loaves and the fishes! (seriously.....I was!)


I'm not sure if I will ever have "finished" pictures for you.......




This still isn't the color that I have in my mind, but it will work for now......my overall plan is to add chair rail and faux boxes on the white part of the wall....but we've just been struck with the stomach flu....


I may just paint the whole room black.....

10 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh that stinks! Did you try taking the can of old paint to the store & asking them to mix it again for you? Or adding paint thinner?

Sorry you have had such a rough week!!

Kathy@DandelionsandDustBunnies said...

Poor girl - what a project this has turned into. Just don't paint it black - you'll have to use lots of primer to cover that up. Hope the flu passes quickly so you can get your room finished in time for Thursday. Blessings!

Good Time Charlie said...

Oh those painting disasters are enough to want you to paint everything black. So sorry!! Just take comfort in knowing many of us have been there and it does get solved. I had one of the loveliest painting disasters when I was repainting my kitchen cabinets. I wanted to cry from exhaustion and frustration.

Your Thanksgiving will come together beautifully and everyone will just be thankful you are hosting it, and they won't even notice the walls. Have a great one!

ritajoy @harbourbreeze said...

Oh...so sorry! I, too, have had the ominous "paint disaster" where hyperventilating, tears, and MANY coats of primer and paint were involved. Hang in there. It will come together...And get well soon!

Anonymous said...

Oh gosh I'm so sorry - I've found that trying to find the "right" yellow is usually a nightmare. Too bright, too dull, back and forth you go. I finally gave up. Hope you feel better really soon!

Mary

S said...

Oh-so-sorry... But just think of the awesome story you'll get to tell when it turns out JUST like you'd envisioned the first time!

Laura & Family said...

Oh, Nikki -- I'm so sorry. That's horrible. Praying for you all to get healthy!

Lil Mama Stuart said...

Oh dear. A few lessons learned the hard way I'm sure :(

I think you're supposed to have old paint reshaken at the store before use?

Shannah @ Just Us Four said...

Oh no! I am so sorry to read that you are in the midst of a painting disaster. Hopefully, things will improve soon. I know it can be so frustrating when a project just doesn't go right.

Shannon Fox said...

I feel so bad for you. You get a Poor baby!! That being said, try straining the paint. They have sleeves that fits over the top, you flip it and strain it into an empty container. (First have the paint store shake it for you). The, you can add floetrol (if needed) to the paint and it sleeks it out, should go on like butter after that =) Good luck!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...