November 25, 2011

Shabby Desk Redo. . . .



The completion of the basement has started a chain reaction of change.....first, we moved the school room to the basement....




That allowed us to turn the former school room back into a dining room.....no real pictures of that room yet because I am not happy yet with how it looks.....you can read all about my paint disaster!


So then I decided to rearrange the "music" room...I am a piano teacher and my music was just stuffed in these el cheapo wooden half-painted crates....




I moved an IKEA white storage cabinet from another room in there for the music and then decided to paint my desk to match....


UGH!!!  I just realized as I was typing that I deleted the before picture of the desk and don't have a back-up of it......so I'll describe it for you...


It was an ugly 80's wood desk that I rescued from a yard sale and spray painted oregano.....


So in my overhaul of room, I went and grabbed some Rustoleum Blossom White and sprayed the desk again.....spray painting is such a quick and inexpensive transformation!




I distressed the desk with sandpaper by hand and let the oregano show through....


We had leftover beadboard so I attached it to the sides of the desk and distressed it, as well....




I also painted a satin polyurethane sealer on the top of the desk so that it won't scratch with the heavy use that it gets.


I just love the new look and now that it's white, it will match whatever color I decide to put on these walls!




Now lest you think that my desk always looks like this.....here's a picture of what it really looks like....





Just keepin' it real!




7 comments:

iram said...

its beautiful now a days i am looking for a desk just like that for my sewing machine in thrift stores i hope i find one with a lot of drawers like urs and you have made it look soooooo good

Sarah said...

That looks very pretty!!

life just saying said...

Love the desk. Thanks fo sharing!

Unknown said...

mine!!! hehehe..

WeKnowStuff said...

The desk looks beautiful, the distressing looks great with the oregano peeking through!

Jennifer said...

Great work! It's so pretty!

Tulip Row said...

Love it! So cute! Thanks for the inspiration!! I am your newest follower, follow back at tuliprow.blogspot.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...