November 12, 2011

Side Table Makeover. . . .



Well.....I am just not totally pleased with this project....I tried making my own chalk paint and I'm not quite sure that I did it correctly....

I started with this stand.....it has drawers, I was just too lazy to put them in for the picture!


Her older "sister" was this junked dresser......




Yep....big sis is a lot cuter.....biggest reason for this....I took my time with the dresser and did a lot of sanding!


I also did some guessing with my homemade chalkpaint recipe...since I had never seen chalkpaint prior to this, I wasn't confident as to what the consistency should be.




I couldn't find calcium carbonate anywhere, so I went with plaster of paris.  Here is a link to another chalkpaint recipe from Too Much Time on my Hands.  When I try this again, I am going to use Kim's recipe!



I don't think that chalkpaint is supposed to leave such a streaky first coat....




I am thinking that I may try this again.....I'm probably going to sand down the top and try staining it like I did with the dresser and paint over the distressing.  


I'm going to add glass knobs and finish the inside of the drawers with some mod podge over the fabric.

Any suggestions??




2 comments:

Carli-Made by Carli said...

It's adorable Nicole! I love the outdoor shots of it. Nice job!

Mandy said...

It looks great! As a rule of thumb, I have been staining the top of furniture and putting a few coats of polyurethane on it, only because I don't want stains, etc. on the top and sooner or later you know it's going to happen!

I haven't tried making my own chalk paint yet. Saves you alot of $ huh?
Mandy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...