May 16, 2011

Before and After.......


{The finished room....kind've....}




Life here has been a little crazy!  We had family visiting for the weekend and I hosted my very first piano recital.....hence the beautiful roses in all the pictures!

My hubby bought them for me, but when I saw my daughter's face.....well, they went to her!


But the reality of all the busy is that my daughter's room is still sitting somewhat....unfinished!  I have all the major projects completed, but wall decorating.....ugh!  I struggle here!  There's just so much empty wall space!!


So here's my before...just to remind you...




And the after.......



The shelves are from IKEA and I've been waiting forever for them!  We live about 90 minutes away from IKEA which translates to...too much gas to drive in a normal day!  So when my hubby had something for work in Philadelphia recently I BEGGED him to stop at IKEA!


I was also waiting until I could purchase them for FREE!!  We save our Chase Mastercard points until they accrue and so using my Chase Card reward points, I purchased the Billy shelves from IKEA for FREE!! 


Hair accessories drive me CRAZY because I can never find the clip that I'm looking for, so I took an old window that I already had and refashioned it!




A long time ago I dry-brushed white paint on the window to lighten it.  Now, I just stapled chicken wire on the back to make a bow holder for my daughter!


Here is the before of the other side of the room....




And the after......



This side is kind've giving me fits.....I'm just not sure yet what to do with her wall.....I'm thinking of framing her artwork with some Goodwill frames sprayed white??  There's just so much empty wall....




Here are some things that I still want to add:

This felt wreath from Bliss Images and Beyond:




I want to put the wreath on this wall, right over her pegs that hold the dress-up purses!




And then add some new bedding starting with these fun flower pillows from Make It and Love It.



Overall cost breakdown:


Behr Paint with Primer:  $35
Foam Chair rail: 4 pieces @ $8.00
Beadboard Wallpaper:  1 1/2 rolls @ $15/roll
IKEA shelves and baskets:  Free!!  Used reward points
Window:  Free, already had it
Chicken Wire:  Free, already had it

Total:  $89!!!

Remodeling and Refashioning doesn't have to be expensive!!


Click HERE for Places I Party.....

27 comments:

Rachel said...

Oh, Nicole! I love it! Looks so girly and yet it will "grow" with her! I'd love to do that for Maggie's room - she is on Princess overload from all the gifts she got while she was sick. Maybe I will just have to work on things w/o putting them in her room and then do a HUGE makeover in one day....ooooh gets the wheels in my mind a turnin'! :)

angie said...

looks great ~ i love it! i can hardly wait until carly is old enough to move out of the nursery and into a big girl room :)

Unknown said...

That looks great Nikki! I love that shade of blue! Did you realize that Erika from Bliss Images & Beyond lives 2 doors down from me! The wreath is just as gorgeous in person!

Kathy@DandelionsandDustBunnies said...

I love the shelving you added to fill the wall space - and free wow. Looks fantastic! You did a great job. Love that beadboard wall paper. Blue is such a great color. I had a blue room growing up too.

Unknown said...

darling room! Love the tissue flowers on the shelf. I am dne with the basic stuff in my daughter's room too! Now I have to finish accessorising!

Unknown said...

Hi, I just landed here from the Making Monday Marvelous @Craft Link Party. I'm a brand new follower.

That color is gorgeous. I just repainted my home office a similar color called French Blue.

Bella Vida by Letty

~Damita's Pretty Wrap~ said...

I love that!! It looks sooo cute!! And I absolutely love that window you put in there! Would love if you'd stop by my blog sometime :) Happy Tuesday!

Stacey said...

Looks cute! I need to redo my Emma's room this summer, but it will be a huge task! Great job!
Stacey of Embracing Change

Terri said...

I love how her room turned out! Where do you get the foam chair rail and beadboard wallpaper? My wheels are turning.....:)

ritajoy@harbourbreeze said...

This is a BEAUTIFUL room! I have 3 boys, so I've never done the "girly" thing... I, too, just used beadboard wallpaper...and love it! Thanks for sharing this with us.

Chris said...

Love the room! Love Ikea too! :) Thanks so much for sharing at Us and Them! Chris

Darling @ Junque 'n my Trunk said...

This is an awesome room! My fav item is the chicken wire window! I love windows! This room is good for a little one, but is also good till she is grown up! Good job!

Christine said...

What a lucky girl!! Her room is so cute and I especially love that old window.

Sue@creativetryals.blogspot.com said...

What a lovely room! The old window frame is a wonderful centerpiece.
Nice job!

Olga said...

That room looks adorable and I'm in love with the jewelry holder.
visiting from Thrifty Thursday Blog Hop

Melissa said...

Cute cute room! I love the old window made into a jewelry/bow holder. Gives me a good idea for my daughters room :)

Unknown said...

So pretty! I found you through Thrifty Thursday blog hop, and I'm a new follower. I look forward to seeing more from you! I'd love a follow on my blog too! :)
Alisa

http://asterriskjewelry.blogspot.com/

Leslie said...

I love that hair clip frame!!! We'll be decorating my daughter's first 'big girl' room soon, and I'll definitely have to incorporate this idea!

Unknown said...

Jumped over from Lil' Luna. Love the room! It is awesome. If you need an idea for the last wall, you could try what we are working on in my boys' room. We are bought a bunch of various size frames, painted them all the same color, and we're filling them with pictures of people who love them: grandparents, siblings, aunts and uncles, etc. Most of our pictures have the boy with each person but you could do it just as a portrait wall as well. Good luck, I'm sure you'll get just the inspiration you need!

Marsha Cooper said...

The room looks beautiful! I love those shelving units...all rooms need those!
I would love it if you would add this post to my Frugal Friday's linky.

Susan said...

I saw your link at Tatertots & Jello - the paint and chair rail make a huge difference! The room looks great!

La-Dee-da crafter said...

wow, you did a great job! Lucky girl. I love the window turned accessory holder. I really need to find an old window!!!!
great job!
ladeedacreations.com

Alisha said...

Really, really cute, but it would have cost a lot more if you had paid for the shelves. With that cost considered, it's definitely out of my price range!

Maryann @ Domestically-Speaking said...

Beautiful job! I'm putting the room in the PoPP Spotlight... thanks for sharing it with us!

Nicole@Thrifty Decorating said...

@Alisha....the Billy shelves and baskets would have only added an additional $120 to the total cost. I saved my points for over 6 months to be able to purchase them! :)

Christine said...

thanks for linking up with my Show and Share party! I said it before but, wow, I love that old window. Her room looks so much better and more efficient with the shelves too.

Becky@Organizing Made Fun said...

You did a great job! Are you a piano teacher? You said you hosted a piano recital - I'm a piano teacher, so that's what caught my eye :) I also noticed that you are a Christian and that also caught my eye...would love for you to stop by! I love all your thrifty decor - spotted you from Domestically Speaking feature and now a follower!

Becky B.
www.organizingmadefun.com
Organizing Made Fun

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...