May 23, 2011

Old Window Hairbow Holder


{Old window idea....}




I LOVE old windows!  In fact, you can read about how I use them for STORAGECHALKBOARDS, and  WALL DECOR.

Recently, I had an old window in my daughter's room.  It was one of the first windows that I tried to repurpose myself.  Let's just say that I've learned a lot since them!





I've been wanting a place to put all of her hairbows, ponytail holders, headbands, and more ponytail holders.  So I refashioned the window into this hairbow holder!




I began by ripping apart the window and using a staple gun to attach chicken wire to the back.  It was really easy to do.  I just trimmed it with my hubby's wire cutters.....actually kind've fun!

The problem.....we don't just have hair clips.  We have ponytail holders, headbands, and more ponytails holders.....none of which she ever actually keeps in her hair!

I wanted to organize those too, so I ran to our local True Value hardware store and grabbed some hooks that twist right into the wood. They cost all of $1.25 for 5 of them!!








To "fancy up the window" a bit, I went into my stash of fabric and made some twisted fabric flowers.....and just attached them with hot glue!  Love that stuff!



It's now a functional decorative piece in her room!


How do you organize your hair accessories??  A better question..how do you keep bows in your tomboy girl's hair???


Click HERE for places I party.



16 comments:

angie said...

i have to make one of these at some point.....silly question....where do you get chicken wire?

Kathy@DandelionsandDustBunnies said...

Looks great. Love the flowers you added. No advice on the hair bows thing - with two boys we don't use many bows. Great way to keep them in one spot though.

Unknown said...

That is so cute!! if I didn't have two boys I would want one right now!:)

Unknown said...

Love this!
I would love to have you share this on our Monday Playdate (all things kid friendly!) at http://beneaththerowantree.blogspot.com/2011/05/new-and-improved-playdate-link-party.html
Cheers!
Lori
http://beneaththerowantree.com
Come & Play :: Monday Playdate

Becky@Organizing Made Fun said...

Here is what I do to keep hair stuff under control:

http://organizingmadefun.blogspot.com/2010/11/we-did-it-kids-project-for-organizing.html

Yours is lovely!

Becky B.
www.organizingmadefun.com
Organizing Made Fun

Johnnie said...

This is sooo cute!

Lil Mama Stuart said...

very nice! my girl won't keep accessories in her hair either :(

Unknown said...

I love this!! This is my favorite!
Come link this or your fav post to the party on the 1st. You can have your post on my side bar for 1 month and win a gift.
Grab a button!
Xo
http://lechateaudesfleurs.blogspot.com/2011/04/grab-button.html

Kristine@thefoleyfam said...

Beautiful!! Love how it turned out!!! I just wrap ribbon around my babe's closet doors ;) Easy peasy! I will have to do a post about it and link back to you ;) Thanks for sharing!!

http://jandmseyecandy.blogspot.com/

Alison @ Oopsey Daisy said...

This is seriously so stunning! I love the idea of using an old window!!

Unknown said...

I just love that! I need to make something like this for my girls. What a FAB idea!

I would LOVE for you to share these at my For the Kids link party! Come join the fun!!

http://sunscholars.blogspot.com/2011/05/for-kids-friday-12.html

Kristin @ Yellow Bliss Road said...

What a great idea! I just love this, and the chicken wire is fantastic. I've been searching for ideas for an accessory holder for my daughter, and I have an old frame that would be great for this. Thanks for the idea!

Laura said...

I saw a cool idea to organize headbands by covering a roll of paper towel in fabric, and then placing headbands on that!


Laura
Born To Be Styled

Herb said...

That is a very cute idea, Nicole! The window will not just serve as decoration in the room of your girl, but will also keep her stuff organized. This idea will surely be beneficial for my wife and for my little girl ‘cause they’re having a hard time in looking for their ponytails. It just so happened that I think I need more hooks for the accessories of the ladies. :)

[ Herb Koguchi ]

Unknown said...

I have a drawer for my accessories but I’m having a hard time looking for the ponytails that I want to use. I think using the old windows like the ones you made makes looking for them easier. Well, I hope I can find an old window in our basement so that I can pursue with doing the same stuff. Well, you’re a crafty mom and I think your daughter loves this as an added display in her room. :)

-Roxie Tenner-

Lida Swisher said...

Fabulous! Any girl with all those ponytails and accessories will be happy to have something like this. I can imagine how your girl gets too excited every time she needs to get an accessory from that window. I hope I can find an old window from our stash of junk here so that I can also make one for my sister. I’ll give it to her as a present for her 7th birthday. :D

-Lida Swisher-

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...