May 26, 2011

PB Knock-off Clock


{A $2.00 piece of wall art....}




I've had this project sitting forever!  I started it back before I had a blog....and I just finished it this week!


Since I was never planning on "posting" about it, I didn't take pictures of the original steps.  Here's my best attempt to recreate.....



I was originally inspired by Alchemy Junk and her version....she gives a great tutorial for how to make the wood look old!

I started with an old piece of plywood.....we use it every year to put our Christmas Tree stand on it....guess, I'll need to get something new for next year!




I painted my wood with a white base....I then tried to age mine by mixing multiple acrylic paint colors or red, yellow and brown.  I never quite did achieve the rust color that I was going for.....



I didn't really have to "age" my piece of wood too much.....it was already pretty beat up.  I just tried to make the holes look "rusty."  I also went over it with glaze to "age" it.

You can see in this next picture all the colors that I added when painting.....I just kept layering....if something looked too dark, I would take a wet paper towel and smear it around....




I used the glaze to draw my circle....I first drew it with a pencil and had to erase multiple times...and yes, I did try the whole thumbtack/string idea...I don't know what the problem was! (It's probably that whole exact measurement thing...)



 



As I have mentioned before, I have no type of fancy cutting machine.....I only had a printer that was running out of ink!




I picked the Times New Roman font because it had the word "roman" in it and I figured, hey...."roman numerals!"  I printed it out...holding my breath that it would do all the numbers before running out of ink!



I used black acrylic paint to paint on the numbers and then took sand paper and roughed them up.....




And yes....I know that the numbers are wrong......all the numbers are supposed to face in toward the middle......the hubby didn't like it like that!  It's all about compromise....sigh!




Cost: 
Wood:  free, an old junked piece
Glaze:  free, had it
Paint: $2.00 for 2 bottles of acrylic paint in red and yellow
Total:  $2.00!!


Now I'm on the look-out for some rusty clock parts!

PLACES I PARTY....

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Love it! I have been wanting to do something like that... but my Hubs said... why would we have a clock that doesn't tell time? ugg...;)

Johnnie said...

I just stumbled this. Great job! Thanks for linking up with me, as always.

Selina@CreativeJuicesDecor said...

Very nice! I am guessing you saw mine too!
http://creativejuicesdecor.blogspot.com/2011/02/pottery-barn-knockoffdistressed-clock.html

KK said...

I really liike your clock. It looks great. I think it "works."

Katy said...

This is so great! I love the distressed look it has. Thank you for the inspiration!

Stacy CUrran said...

This is great! My husband would never let me have a clock that doesn't tell time thoigh! MEN!!!!
Stacy

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...