May 20, 2011

The end of the world as we know it???



So, do I fold my laundry and put it away or just not worry about it since the world is ending tomorrow?? 

Oh...to ignore paying the bills, brooming up the multiple piles of grass that are constantly getting tracked in and going ahead and eating that whole container of Turkey Hill Skinny Minty ice cream and not worrying about any consequences....all because tomorrow...it's over??

As silly as it sounds, a lot of people I've talked with are slightly nervous about tomorrow's end-of-the world prediction.....I mean, things have been pretty bad if you look around the world...

.....horrible floods.....

.....earthquakes......

....wars and rumors of war.....


So when a kooky old man starts saying that he has mathematical proof that the world is ending May 21st, it even makes the sanest person scratch their head and say....."Could he be right?"

Here's an except from my husband's blog No Argument for God, I'll let the real theologican answer instead of me!

-----------------------------------------

Of course I remember back when Harold Camping did this the last time - back in 1994 he prophesied that the return of Christ was in the fall. I remember the guy I was interning with circled September in his Daytimer as "rapture season." And yes, Harold was wrong then.


He is a nice old man who knows a lot about the Bible - I would love to be neighbors with him. Its just that he forgets that when Jesus said He was returning someday, He said that no one would know the day or the hour.


Mark 13: 21 - “Then if anyone tells you, ‘Look, here is the Messiah,’ or ‘There he is,’ don’t believe it."

and again later . . .

Mark 13:32 - "However, no one knows the day or hour when these things will happen, not even the angels in heaven or the Son himself. Only the Father knows."
 
 
This last one is actually an expression that grooms would use about their wedding day. In ancient Israel, the man who was engaged would go back to his father's house and work on his "Chuppa" or bridal chamber for about a year. This was to be where his bride and he would live. The groom's father would inspect it and only when it met the father's specs on quality would he receive permission to go and bring his fiance back to the house to be married. When people would ask him when the big day was, his answer was "only my Father knows the day." Jesus, it seems, is preparing a place for us right now. And at just the right time, the Father will give Him a nod to put an end to the wait and the Earth can end its separation from God.


So . . . sorry Mr Camping. There are no mathematical formulas for figuring that out. You are a kind old man who knows a lot but it seems like you have gone overboard with math. 
 
 
But its not too late to rope yourself in and try to bring the Kingdom of God to this Earth through the way you live your life - the graciousness of your actions, the way you forgive, the justice you help maintain, the poor you provide for, the fatherless you defend . . .
 
Let God decide when its time to come back.
 
----------------------------------------------
 
Rats.....I guess that means I have to put the laundry away......
 
 
 

7 comments:

angie said...

uh oh, guess i should have paid my bills this month ;)

Amy@OneArtsyMama said...

I love your husband's post...thanks for sharing. Our Bible Study has been learning a lot lately about the Jewish cultural context of Scripture and it just gives me chills the way the ancient Israel wedding traditions match up with the way Jesus talks about coming back for us...the "In my Father's house are many rooms" is another example. Love the way God works! We've also been studying the Kingdom of God and what it looks like to bring it to earth here and now...very cool. :)

Natalie said...

Oh my gosh, I saw that headline and was like, "what on earth!?!" It'll be interesting to read what he has to say tomorrow about being wrong. Again. There are too many Bible prophecies that haven't happened yet, so I'm not holding my breath. All I know, is we need to prepare and live our best every day so that when the time DOES come, we'll be ready and more importantly, WORTHY to return to our Savior. I think the season is approaching, but not tomorrow. I guess I'll go put my laundry away, too. Sigh.
Sounds like your husband has a great blog! I'll have to check it out!

Poor Badger Creations said...

The funny thing is, I heard he has book releasing tomorrow! I guess he is hoping everyone wakes up early to buy and read that book. ;)

Katie said...

on a side note... TH skinny minty is my Favorite!!!! :)

Anonymous said...

I only just found out about this end of the world thing and it's 6.15pm! Uh oh... It's very quiet here where I live at the moment but apparently we have a huge storm coming. Dun dun dun.... ;o)

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

Amen! Love your husband's post -- excellent! As a Believer knowing and agreeing that no one knows the day or hour when the Lord will return, I slept soundly last night. The most we can hope for is that this nut will generate some POSITIVE spiritual dialogue!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...