May 31, 2011

Hanging Herb Pots....




{I wish I had a green thumb....}





Recently, we tried growing our own herbs.....we had high hopes for those little herbs!




We followed the directions with the utmost of care.......but we ended up with this....


What happened????  I grew MOLD not plants!!


I had seen this adorable idea at Under the Table and Dreaming and really wanted to try it...




....but because my budget got blown on buying new herbs to replace the ones I couldn't grow, I needed to improvise!  That's when I saw these at our local Gift and Thrift.....



Twenty-five cents for each pot!!  That made me feel better about paying $3.99 a plant for the herbs.....grr!!



Since I no longer had funds to buy cute mugs, I decided that I wanted chalkboard labels, but I am too cheap to order them from someone, so I decided to make my own.



In my word processing program, I made a bunch of different-sized ovals because I wan't sure what size I would need for my pots.



I picked a size and then cut it out......




....then I just traced it on my pot with a black marker.....



Originally I thought that I would tape off each oval.....yeah right!  Do you know how much time that would take???  I just free-handed the chalkboard paint with a tiny brush....it was precise enough for me.



Since I was home alone, drilling a hole through a terracotta pot was beyond my skill level with the drill bit, so I "invented" my own method of hanging the pots......twine looped around the pot!




I tied it through the hole in the bottom of the pot and made a knotted loop to hang the pot from.......(sorry, I just ended my sentence with a preposition.....)





I grabbed my gorgeous...."home-grown-store-purchased" herbs...





......and put it in my painted pots.

I had one of these gold hooks leftover from my Old Window Hairbow Holder....




I just put the hook directly into the wooden overhang of my window and created my own hanging herb garden.....



One quick confession......watering this was a BEAR!!  Dirt kept spilling onto my window sill.....I think you need a spray bottle to water them!  So......I took them down and they are sitting on my sill.....it was a great thought, just TOO messy!


9 comments:

Suzy Myers said...

Cool idea! Love the look too!

Becky@Organizing Made Fun said...

My first thought was "how do you water them?" cause it would run out the bottom :) They are pretty, but I guess if you use a spray bottle that might be easiest. Very nice! They look good.

Becky B.
www.organizingmadefun.com
Organizing Made Fun

Kathy@DandelionsandDustBunnies said...

Fun idea. Love the chalkboard paint you added to change up the pots if you like.

iram said...

cute project :) through out the post the question of watering was banging my head but you answered it your self in the end :) erum from arts crafts n hobbies

Vivienne @ the V Spot said...

This is a cute idea, and I liked that you "kept it real" by telling us some of the bumps you encountered along the way. :)

Jordan McCollum said...

I love this project! I've always wanted herb pots in my kitchen window.

Unfortunately, I have no kitchen window. :(

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

Okay so I think this is just SUCH a cute idea -- you can't abandon it because of a little watering issue! Could you hot glue some old mismatched tea cup saucers onto the bottoms to kind of catch any water drips? I don't know -- this is just cute cute cute!

Bethany @ A Fish Who Likes Flowers said...

Very cute idea and I'm sure your pots are still cute with their chalkboard labels. Thanks for sharing

Mindie Hilton said...

I would love for you to link it up to my party that is running now. Any linky goes.

http://bacontimewiththehungryhypo.blogspot.com/2011/06/any-link-goes-party-running-now-summer.html

Come strut your stuff.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...