August 23, 2011

The continuation (and conclusion) of the cat saga....

Oh my.....so I ended my last post with God bringing home our sick and missing kitty.  It was quite a joyous celebration....lots of tears of joy....but it was one of those moments where I didn't want to be the dark mommie-cloud of reality saying...."um, guys....the kitty still looks on the the edge of death...."


Really, I am SO grateful that God heard and answered the prayers of my tearful kids...He even went a step beyond and gave my son a special little blessing....


That night, the kitty once again escaped his warm, safe shelter of our laundry room and somehow dragged his sick little body up a flight of stairs.....the cat went right into my son's room....how the cat knew how to find him since it lived outside....I'm giving the credit to God, but my older son awoke to little "meow's"...


As we thought back over the past few days, those were pretty much the only sounds the cat had even made.....so I know that something special happened there for my boy....


The next day.....I called the vet....in my heart, I knew that I was about to dish out a couple hundred dollars for a cat that was either too sick to recover or would end up getting hit by a car the moment it did.....but I wasn't doing it for the cat, I was doing it for these blue eyes that were filled with anxiety and fear for his pet....




So....on the way to the vet, while getting the cat in the carrier, my son got scratched....enough to bleed.....note to self....don't let a sick cat scratch anyone...I've had a HUGE learning curve in the past 24 hours about outdoor pets!


After we ran some blood tests and ruled out things like leukemia, the vet asked if we've had our pets vaccinated against rabies....

"Um...no.  'Cuz you see we rescued these cats from the Amish farm that keeps having cats wander onto our back porch and my soft-hearted children keep adopting and I'm running out of money feeding them all and finding homes for them...we did get them fixed....was that too long of an answer?"


Long story short.....because the cat potentially could have rabies and rabies is prevalent in our area (who knew??)....we would have to keep the cat alive for 10 days.....if the cat lived for 10 days...no rabies....if the cat died for any reason in those 10 days, it would still have to go through rabies testing because it scratched my son....WHAT?!?


Let's just say after a completely emotional ordeal that left everyone, even the vet tech, crying....the cat is now "home with Jesus!"  And YES, we are lying through our teeth and telling our children that the cat is dancing in heaven....don't even judge me, you would do the same!


So after the most expensive "transport" fee ever.....really, did they take the cat in a limo???....the cat was "tested" for rabies.....


Let me just tell you.....if you think that your child has been exposed to rabies...DO NOT GOOGLE IT!!!  I just had to pray to Jesus last night that He would guard my thoughts because I was freaking out!


The good news.....the cat tested negative for rabies.....no trips to the hospital will be necessary.....I am SO grateful!


So now I'm off to get our other outside cat vaccinated.....I had no idea that rabies was even still a threat!  And no...I never read Old Yeller....so I really knew nothing about the disease......until Google....


....after my Google research, I think that I could 
become an activist for mandatory pet vaccinations.....





....Oh and on top of all of that....we had an earthquake today.....while I was at the chiropractor today for my back he asked if I had any extra stress in my life.....I couldn't even answer him! LOL





8 comments:

ConnieDawn said...

My! You've really been through it Nikki! What an interesting blog post though!

I just wanted to tell you that the cheerleaders loved their pony-o's. My daughter said they went on and on about them. lol, they were just streamers! Oh well, glad to know they were appreciated and thanks for posting the instructions!

The Gaertegang Homestead said...

Glad to hear all is well....hope your adjustment at the chiropractor helped! I think some relaxing might be in order!!

Unknown said...

I'm reading this and the previous cat post all at the same time and I feel so bad for you guys! We went through our dog's death in March and it was just awful! I can't even imagine having to go through that with the kids, plus all these other stresses on top of it! I hope things start looking up for you guys soon!

Natalie said...

OH MY GOSH!!! How sad and scary and emotional all at the same time! I think I'll have to go get our cat vaccinated now. And google rabies. So glad things turned out okay in the end!

Paula said...

Pet vaccination is mandatory here. All animals have to be vaccinated for rabies before they'll issue a license. It is good citizenship to have all animals vaccinated for all the diseases that they can catch!

So sorry your kitty died. It is so hard to lose a beloved pet.

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!! What an overwhelming time you've had!! My jaw hit the floor when I read that the little thing died, errr, I mean, is dancing on the clouds in heaven! After all of that . . . the things we don't do for our kids AND our pets. That part about the kitty wandering up into you son's room . . . choke. I'm so glad that our heavenly Father cares about each tear that falls. And on a lighter note, don't watch the movie Cujo :)

Lina - Fancy Frugal Life said...

Oh man...when it rains it pours, right? So sorry for your son and cat :( Glad he is ok...this is why we haven't done pets yet. Holding off as long as possible.. Ha :)

Hang in,
Lina

amber said...

Oh my goodness! I hate Google! =) Or at least I hate Google when my kids are sick! Glad your son is okay, sorry about your cat though!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...