August 5, 2011

Homemade Taco Seasoning.....

Did you know that you can make homemade taco seasoning for pennies of the cost of the store brand??  And that it tastes sooooo much better??




I found this out accidentally one night when I ran out of store bought packets and I had two starving boys and one skillet of unseasoned meat.


I went to Allrecipes.com and found this recipe for taco seasoning and it has quickly become a family favorite!






I don't know why.....but I was amazed that my spices looked exactly like the store packet?!?




So here is the recipe from Allrecipes.com:


1 Tab. chili powder
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (I think I'll add more next time!)
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. paprika
1 1/2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper







I only use ground turkey now instead of ground beef for all of my cooking. Because turkey makes hardly any grease, I had to add at least 3/4 cup of water to my skillet with the seasoning.




This recipe is so much better that store bought....there were actually shouts of "These are the best tacos that we have ever had!"  and "I love how spicy these are!" 

I love the fact that I can cut back on the amount of salt I add to the recipe!




If you are looking for another money saving recipe, try my Chili's knock-off fajita's meal!  





What are you having for dinner

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nicole,
I had to chuckle when you mentioned your surprise. I felt the same way when I first made my own... "Wow, looks JUST like the store brand. Hm, smells just like it too!" Aren't we silly? I've since started making large batches of the sauce mix and meat (I blend ground beef, ground turkey, and tvp). I cook it all up, portion it into family meal size and freeze. Such a quick meal - just reheat. Also great mixed with leftover rice and a bit of refried beans for a quick burrito! Love your recipes.

Kristal said...

Wow, I have GOT to try this! And it's lunch time and looking at your gorgeous pictures is making me hungry ~ LOL!!

XoXo,
Kristal

Lil Mama Stuart said...

Trying this tonight because I forgot to buy a packet!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...