August 21, 2011

A wish lantern and an answered prayer.....

It has been an emotional week at our house.....on Monday, I posted on my FB page asking for prayer for a college friend whose son collapsed and died during soccer practice.....a life cut entirely too short by an unknown heart defect.  


My friend Alison of Stuff and Nonsense wrote a beautiful post about it HERE entitled Another Thursday....grab a tissue if you hop over to read it....


Another friend brought her daughter home from the hospital on Thursday, their lives completely changed......what started as a fever has been diagnosed as juvenile arthritis......nothing will be the same.....


In our house, the tears have been flowing today.....our cat that adopted us last winter is sick......in the midst of the "recovery" effort which included taking the deck apart.....he ran away....


At times like this, when life seems so confusing....and so sad....it's easy to start questioning if God cares.....


As I was driving home tonight from a quick trip to our grocery store and just crying about all of these events this week, I was reminded of that verse in John where it is recorded that "Jesus wept...."


He cried, too.....tears also ran down his face and his heart hurt over the death of a close friend......


I drew comfort tonight in the fact that God was hurting tonight, too......His heart is broken by the curse of sin that causes death, pain and suffering.....I imagine that He is anxiously awaiting the day of His return to make things right and new again....


My hubby has had this "wish lantern" sitting around....he needed to test it out for work.......if you've seen the movie Tangled then you know what a wish lantern is.  The town sets them off every year for the lost princess on her birthday.....


We watched Tangled this afternoon so my hubby suggested that we make it our "prayer" lantern......I wept tonight as I saw my baby girl's face streaming with tears and her hands folded while her lips cried out a prayer to God...."Please bring Chloe home...."


I just prayed...."Please reward the faith and hope of my children....."


We waited.....and waited....and no cat....we came in and I put my daughter to bed....still crying....


Then....suddenly, my son came flying up the stairs....they found the cat!


Thank you, Jesus....for caring enough to send our sick cat home.....for hearing the prayers of a little girl....


Truthfully....the cat may still die tonight.......and my friends are still suffering, but in my heart.....and the heart of my kids....they saw a glimpse of God's heart tonight......they felt His care.....


Pain is part of life.....there's no escaping it in a cursed and sinful world...
but I know that HOPE is coming.....
and that God cares when His children are sad....















7 comments:

Paula said...

Praying for you!

Suzy-Q said...

Our God is truly amazing! These verses come to mind so I thought I would share:

Phillipians 4:4-7 rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. and the peace of God,which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

God hears our prayers, even the littlest ones! Praying you will have a better week!

Style, Decor & More said...

He's always listening. So glad you're cat came home.

Brenda said...

I just read your post and can identify with this summer has been rough on our family as well. hugs to you and your family! we are not alone!

Alison Agnew said...

i do identify...we are experiencing the divorce of good friends, cancer in a 6 year old little girl...it's all around...but God is so good and ever present...such a valuable lesson for our children to see us cry out to our savior when we are in pain.

alison

Stacy CUrran said...

I'm so glad you got your cat back!
Stacy

Whitney said...

Praying for those families..... On a side note, our puppy, Chloe, ran away this past Thursday and as we were walking our neighborhood, my 3 year old kept asking, "Mommy, you know where my puppy's at?" God heard our prayers too and brought our puppy home that evening!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...