January 10, 2011

Turning windows into chalkboards

As I mentioned before, decorating with old windows is very inexpensive.....most of the time, people are throwing them away as junk.....

I've turned two of my old windows into chalkboards.  I used two different methods for each......but now that I have discovered the wonders of spraypaint, I would do this window that hangs over my son's desk in our homeschool room a little differently...




You can't see because I didn't take an up-close shot, but this window is just marred with brush strokes.  I decided to tape off the edges and brush on black chalkboard paint.....now I broke every painting rule and I didn't prime.  The paint is really starting to peal. 

If I could start over, I would tape off the edges, prime the glass and then use a spray chalkboard paint....both Rustoleum and Krylon make chalkboard spraypaint and they are relatively inexpensive.  






This window hangs in my kitchen and keep track of very important information....like our predictions of when the first snow will be (which I won...exactly!)  and what the largest one-time snowfall event will be.....which so far we've had a grand total of about 1/2 inch.....


I'm not sure what the bottom 2 drawings are....something my husband was explaining at somepoint....


This window had cracked glass panes, so we carefully took them out and replaced them with some pieces of cheap luan lying around our garage....(luan is probably the cheapest, lightest wood out there)..


I then just brushed 2 coats of black chalkboard paint directly on the wood.....truly nothing fancy!


.....two inexpensive, practical ways to use old windows....

3 comments:

angie said...

very cute! i'm trying to figure out a place in our toy room to put some chalkboard paint on the wall....that way we can get rid of our easel. too much stuff!

Kathy@DandelionsandDustBunnies said...

I bought some chalkboard paint for the first time last week and still haven't gotten to my projects. These old windows are a great idea - love it.

Anonymous said...

Nikki-It was great to see you the other day. I love all your windows and I am having so much fun reading your blog. You inspired me to go to Goodwill where I found 2 big chunky brass lamps, SPRAYPAINTED (yay!) them black and topped them them cream colored shades (inexpensive from Christmas Tree Shops) and now I have 2 great looking lamps on my buffet! Thanks for the inspiration. I sent my sis your blog.--Liz

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...