January 19, 2011

Cupboard Door Picture Holders

I've been dying to do this project!!  I first saw it on The Creative Crate months ago and couldn't wait to try it!


The first stop was to the Habitat Restore where I picked up these old cabinet doors for about $0.50 each!


I cleaned them up and sprayed them first with Rustoleum primer...


...and then Rustoleum Blossom White...



I let them dry.....for like 3 weeks because I didn't have time to get back to them!.....and then I added my trusty mix of glaze.....truly about 1/6th of this can has lasted through 5 months of projects!


...there's no special technique to glazing...it's like The Karate Kid..."wax on, wax off!".....


...wipe on your glaze to a level of thickness that you prefer....if you wipe on too much then wipe it off!


....note the difference between the glazed wood and the sprayed wood....the glazed wood really has dimension to it.....




...drill holes where your ribbon is going to get pulled through....I used two sizes of bits...




I went through first with the smaller one just to get the hole for the ribbon started and then made it bigger with the larger bit...


After a number of failed attempts to get the ribbon into the hole (and not finding a lick of tape anywhere to tape off the end!)............I decided to push it through with a toothpick....it worked great!



I tied my bow and attached my magnetic clip with a little bit of Gorilla Glue.....awesome stuff!


Stacie at The Creative Crate used 8 x 10 pictures, but I only have a 5 x 7....her doors must be bigger than mine...


Now I just need to get some Black & White photos of my kids to fill the empty spaces!



Linking to:













Domestically Speaking
 
 







Stuff and Nonsense






26 comments:

Kathy@DandelionsandDustBunnies said...

Those are so adorable. I need to find some old cupboards doors now. Love the ribbon.

Kelly Seaman said...

Love them! Can't wait to do this in my home!

Alison Agnew said...

This is a great idea for photos or changeable art. Thanks for linking up!

Becky@OrganizingMadeFun said...

I cannot believe your Restore had those for 50 cents each - ours must be way overcharging! That's a super deal! I love your creativity, too! You must be loving looking at those everytime you walk by!

Becky B.
www.organizingmadefun.blogspot.com
Organizing Made Fun

Unknown said...

Love! Love! Love! this simply neat and thrifty project. Stumbled upon your blog via tatertots and jello. Please consider linking up to my blog bash K.I.S.S.=Keep It Simple Sunday. Happy to be your newest follower. :)

http://thetatteredtag.blogspot.com

LP aka A Crafty Southern Chick said...

That's gorgeous and classy! I wonder if you could also use those photo corners like for scrapbooking? Hmmm...gonna have to try it! :) Following!

http://beadsbuttonsbubbles.blogspot.com/

Roeshel said...

So clever and gorgeous! You did a beautiful job!

Roeshel

Unknown said...

Beautiful!

Stacie said...

LoVe how they turned out!! Don't ya just love the Habitat Restore?!! Great JoB! :)

Its So Very Cheri said...

I love this project--The photo looks gorgeous on the door.

Cheri

Hi, I'm Suz!! said...

HHMMMMMM..... My old next-door-neighbor and his brothers run a cabinet shop. This is the inspiration I needed to muster up the courage to ask him what they do with the old doors....

Thanks!! I LOVE these!!!

Hugs ~~ Suz
inspiringcreativeness.blogspot

Tara @ FabulouslyCrafty said...

Very cute!! Visiting from Sunday Scoop Linky party....

Im def. going to have to pick up some cabinet doors next time Im there....

Tara
www.fabulesslycrafty.blogspot.com

Hi, I'm Suz!! said...

Nikki - I love these so much that I featured you on my blog! Please stop by and grab my button!

Hugs~~Suz
inspiringcreativeness.blogspot

Amanda said...

They look amazing, great work

Kelly said...

Good morning! I found you through KISS. This is a fantastic project. I love the end result. I'm your newest follower! :)

Kelly
http://crazywego.blogspot.com

Jeana said...

How cool!!! Very creative.

Nicole said...

Thank you all for your very kind comments! I'd love to post some of YOUR pictures if you've tried this! Just send them to nwilkinson4@netzero.net. Thanks!

Danielle said...

This is SO great! New follower here - can't wait to see more of your cute stuff! :)

Shelley said...

Came over from Thrifty Decor Chick! LOVE THIS!! Thanks for sharing :)

Sarah said...

I love this idea! I have seen those exact doors at our ReStore and had no ideas for them! Now I am praying I can get over there and get them to do this project! Thank you for sharing yet another fabulous idea!

Lynn MacKerell @ Antiques for Today's Lifestyle said...

Hi. I just saw your blog featured on Thrifty Decor Chick. I love the cupboard door picture hangers! What a great idea. I look forward to reading your future posts, as I will be following you. I would be honored if you have a chance to check out my new blog too.

Traci@ Beneath My Heart said...

I really love this! I am going to store this in the back of my mind for a future project. Thanks!

iram said...

wow beautiful idea

Angie said...

Awesome use for unused cabinet doors....let alone the ease of changing out photos to display!

Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made said...

This is so great! I have a stack of these doors from our ReStore . . . what a fun project! I like your smaller doors (mine are also the smaller ones) because you can do a cute grouping like you did. Thanks for sharing this!

closets Bergen said...

What a great idea! I so love this! I really enjoy doing things on my own and creating different unusual stuffs and this just made me say, “I have to find cabinet doors like that and start the work!” I am planning to put my baby’s pictures during her Christening. I am so excited for his project. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...