January 22, 2011

"Homemade" Candles


I'll confess that I originally saw this idea somewhere else, but it was bookmarked on my old computer and that computer died....so if this was your idea, I am sorry that I can't credit you...



I got 3 for $1.00 candles at The Dollar Tree and a glass container at Goodwill for $0.50.



I removed the sticker from the bottom of the candle so that I could pull the wick out....



I hot glued the metal to the bottom of the glass.....excellent idea except for the fact that melted wax will melt the hot glue.....I didn't figure that out until I actually poured the wax and the wicks moved....



I melted the wax in a make-shift double boiler.....a can in a pot of water over low heat.  Now the can will not sit flat in the water....it floats, so I needed to hold the can down to melt the wax.





Pour the wax into your container.....the wax takes a while to harden, so you will have time to adjust your wicks....Warning:  Be careful...hot wax burns!


Your own "homemade" custom candle.....all for the cost of about $1.50!






9 comments:

Kathy@DandelionsandDustBunnies said...

Cute. Looks like a fun idea.

Me said...

What a nifty idea! I just might have to break into my candle stash (don't ask . . . ) and whip some of these up next week.

Miss Chelsea said...

I. LOVE. THIS. My local Anthropologie store was selling similar ones and I took a picture because I wanted to recreate them, then forgot about it. Thanks for reminding me... and the idea to use votives instead of buying those candle wax bead things like I thought I was going to have to do!

Sarah said...

Great idea! Thank you for sharing! We also homeschool so this would be a fun thing for my boys to do during the day. :)

Anonymous said...

Do they still well? (How does one fix welling candles?)

Nicole@Thrifty Decorating said...

Hmmm..help me because I don't know what welling is! :)

Kathirynne said...

If the candles do well (develop a hole near the wick when they harden), just melt more wax, pour it into the well and allow to harden. (You may need 4 candles, rather than just 3, in order to have enough extra wax.)

Alternatively, you can use old candles, pennies (as wick weights), and wick from Michael's rather than buying votives. The process (and probably the cost) is the same.

Jenn @ Frugal Upstate said...

Cute idea! I've seen something similar done with pretty teacups as well.

خدمات منزلية said...

الصفرات للتنظيف
كشف تسربات المياه
نقل عفش

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...